Your cabinets likely take up a lot of space in your kitchen, and they are very visible real estate. If you are looking for a design change in your kitchen or want something bold and a little urbane, we suggest that you might paint your cabinets black. Yes, it’s a bold move, but that is the point. Black cabinets are striking and can evoke a feeling that is either cozy or modern and minimalistic. With 2023’s influx of new paint trends, black cabinets may be the thing that ties your kitchen together.
Are Black Cabinets In?
The popularity of black cabinets is on the rise, and has been for about five years. Interior designers love the versatility of black, claiming it is almost the new white, at least in the kitchen. It works as a neutral tone but could never be called bland. Because the theme for 2023 is being bold and creative with colors, choosing to paint your cabinets black fits right in.
Design Ideas as You Paint Your Cabinets Black
Black cabinets’ potential is almost unlimited as long as you work with the dark color’s natural strengths. Despite initial appearances, black has a broad range of undertones and subtleties, and you should consider all your options as you design your kitchen space.
Are you looking for a matte charcoal or something more along the lines of a glossy jet? The choice is up to you, just keep in mind that black paints with a high gloss will reflect more light back into the room than a paint with a low sheen. You may prefer that power to combat black’s natural tendency to absorb light.
You also do not have to use black cabinets in ways you’ve seen executed in other places. They work well in otherwise white kitchens, but they can also be a great fit for spaces that are naturally dark, especially if that room isn’t busy with other design choices. It just depends on what you prefer. If you’re feeling stuck, here are few suggestions for how to use black cabinets in your kitchen:
For a strikingly modern kitchen, stick to blacks and whites with minimal accents of color. If you have white walls, paint your cabinets black and add pink chairs or blue curtains, just that one point of color to draw the eye.
- If you have tables or counters in a naturally warm wood like oak, we can’t recommend black cabinets enough. We love the mix of cool and warm tones.
- On that note, if you have beautifully textured stone countertops, perhaps marble or granite, painting the cabinets black will really make the stone pop.
- If you like the clean lines of an industrial kitchen, throw in some chrome accents in the hardware you install. Gold hardware also goes well with black cabinets.
- If a kitchen full of black cabinets makes you nervous, only paint a block of them. Maybe you choose to have black cabinets on your kitchen island or around your fridge while you leave the others white or a soft gray.
- You can also choose to have two shades on a single cabinet, painting the cabinet faces black while leaving the frames white. This effect also works in vice-versa, with black frames and lighter faces.
- If you like your kitchen to feel cozy and intimate, lean it to the power of black paint. Skip the contrast and paint the rest of the kitchen in deep or rich tones.
The Pros and Cons of Black Cabinets
Because black absorbs light, you run the risk of making your kitchen feel dark or cramped if your design scheme to paint your cabinets black isn’t executed properly. It is also a bit of a roll of the dice whether your black cabinets are easy to clean or not. While they do a great job at concealing some things, like scratches and dark stains, other things like flour and dust show up plainly.
If you plan to sell your home soon, you may want to wait to paint your cabinets black. Because they are such a bold choice, they can be divisive among buyers. Some will love the dramatic choice, while others may be scared off by it.
Especially if you are making the change for you to enjoy for some time, you should know that black cabinets bring an air of luxury and elegance to any space. They are sophisticated and stunning, and if you are committed, they will enrich your kitchen and your home.
Leave a Reply